NIGHT OF THE LONG BATONS: Cops Move On #OccupyBoston, #OccupyDallas & #OccupySeattle

Reports are coming in that the Boston Police Department — wielding night sticks and not afraid to use them — has arrested 100 protesters at #OccupyBoston and torn down and carted away one of the encampments. #OccupyBoston’s official media team Tweeted it live. You can follow it HERE.


ASSOCIATED PRESS: Boston police have arrested more than 50 protesters from the Occupy Boston movement after they ignored warnings to move from a site near their official encampment. Police spokesman Jamie Kenneally said the arrests began about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday and were mostly for trespassing. The protesters, part of the national Occupy Wall Street effort, had moved from Dewey Square to a second site across the street, along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. A local conservancy group recently planted $150,000 worth of shrubs along the greenway and officials said they were concerned about possible damage. MORE

BOSTON GLOBE: At one point, eight to 10 officers in riot gear tackled and cable-tagged one protester who appeared to be resisting. When the chanting stopped an eerie silence came over the park except for the occasional heckling from remaining members of the crowd gathered across the street. Some in the crown also chanted, “down with Menino.” John Nilles, 74, a Marine from Medford who served in Vietnam and is a member of the group, Veterans for Peace, said he was knocked down during the arrests. He believes he did not get arrested in the chaos because he got knocked down, and banged up his knee. “I have absolutely no use for police anymore,” he said. MORE

OCCUPY BOSTON: On Monday, October 10, 2011, 10,000 people marched from Boston Common to Dewey Square to the North Washington Bridge in support of Occupy Boston and to demand fundamental and lasting economic and political reform.. At the same time, Occupy Boston expanded to an adjoining section of the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy to accommodate the many hundreds of people who come daily to join the occupation. This peaceful expansion was undertaken to make a place for everyone in our movement. At approximately 18:00 the Boston Police Department informed Occupy Boston that if they did not clear the site by nightfall, they would be forcibly removed. In response, Occupy Boston has issued a renewed call for any and all people to join the occupation as soon as possible. From the beginning, occupiers have worked tirelessly to maintain a positive working relationship with city officials. Today’s threats by the Boston Police Department represent a sudden shift away from that dialogue. Since making camp on September 30, Occupy Boston has maintained that it will non-violently resist any attempt to end the protest before we have achieved the change we seek. MORE

FLICKR: Pictures Of #OccupyBoston Arrests

OCCUPY SEATTLE Reports have come flowing in that the Occupy Seattle protesters at Westlake Center have been given the order to leave the premises by the Seattle Police Department or face arrest. The initial order was given around approximately 10:45pm, when Police gave the protesters an ultimatum to move to City Hall, citing the park’s closing time of 10pm. It’s unclear as of now whether this order is being carried out with the city’s approval – according to the Occupy Seattle facebook group, the mayor’s office has contacted protesters and stated that they have 24 hours to come up with “demands concerning relocation.” However, the SPD has threatened to arrest people tonight, well outside of the 24-hour deadline given. MORE

OCCUPY DALLAS: Every person in this camp has been notified they may search for drugs. Everyone. They are free to leave now through the west area without police intervention. No one here has any illicit substances of any kind. We are concerned about planting. MORE


MEANWHILE: Nearly 100 tents were up at City Hall plaza Monday. The “Occupy Philadelphia” rally started Thursday and is modeled on similar events in New York and other cities in the U.S. and abroad. A spokesman for Mayor Michael Nutter said the protests have remained peaceful. Spokesman Mark McDonald said the group applied for a demonstration permit Friday. Unlike typical time-sensitive permits issued by the city, he said this one is open-ended because it’s unclear how long they’ll stay. Protesters said Monday that police, city officials and citizens have been supportive. They said they have no plans to leave and are preparing for rain expected later this week. MORE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *