KILLADELPHIA: Two Shot Dead Overnight, Phila. Detective Beaten And Mugged On Ben Franklin Bridge


ASSOCIATED PRESS: Police say a Philadelphia homicide detective was jogging on the Benjamin Franklin Bridge when she was mugged by a man on a bicycle. Officials say the 28-year-old detective encountered the man on the bridge between Philadelphia and Camden, N.J., early Tuesday. He snatched a gold chain from her neck and threw her cell phone in the Delaware River. Police say the two struggled, and the man produced a handgun and struck the policewoman several times on the head. MORE

rendellcropped.jpgRELATED: Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has resigned as chairman of the Delaware River Port Authority, the two-state agency that operates bridges between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Rendell appointed his former chief of staff, John Estey, to succeed him for a five-year term. Estey, an attorney, is chairman of the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority and board chairman of the Independence Visitor Center Corp. He’s been the designated stand-in for Rendell, who has seldom attended DRPA board meetings as chairman. MORE

skeleton_running.gifINQUIRER: Police are looking into the slaying of a 28-year-old Kensington man who was found shot inside an SUV near his home yesterday. Christopher May, 28, suffered gunshot wounds to the face and torso around 12:45 p.m. in the 200 block of East Stella Street, police said. He was found inside a blue Chevrolet Suburban and was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:23 p.m. MORE

skeleton_running.gifTHE SOURCE: Homicide detectives are investigating the shooting death of an unidentified man whose body was found on a West Philadelphia street early this morning. Police said the shooting occurred in the 200 block of South Farragut Street. After he was gunned down, police say, a white vehicle was seen speeding from the scene. MORE

RELATED: In a decisive victory that his supporters heralded as “historic,” R. Seth Williams won the Democratic primary for Philadelphia district attorney last night, taking more than 41 percent of the votes in a five-man field. “I’ve been running and walking for district attorney for about five years,” Williams said in his victory speech to supporters at a West Philadelphia banquet hall. “My feet are tired, but my soul, my soul is rested, because together, we will work to make the system better.” Williams ran once before, and lost to incumbent Lynne M. Abraham in 2005. “Philadelphia, it’s a new day, a new D.A.,” Williams said, echoing his campaign slogan. MORE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *