KILLADELPHIA: 11-Year-Old Busted In Gun Shop Heist

kids_guns2_1.jpgDAILY NEWS: WHEN POLICE phoned early yesterday, the mother of an 11-year-old boy assured them that her son was at home in bed. But surveillance cameras at the Suburban Armory in Delaware County show he was miles from his Philadelphia home. Her little boy, police said, had been arrested as part of a teenage posse that tried to pull off a brazen gun-shop heist in Collingdale Monday night by dismantling the external alarm system and throwing a boulder through the window. They arrived on public transportation and used a pair of schoolbags to carry 14 semiautomatic handguns — plus the owner’s loaded .38-caliber revolver — and about 250 rounds of ammunition stolen shortly before midnight, authorities said. Collingdale Police Chief Robert Adams said the two adults and three juveniles were smart enough to snip the phone lines behind the building, and that they may have tested police response time recently by tripping the alarm. But their escape plan fell short. They didn’t have a getaway car, and police quickly apprehended two of the suspects outside a Pat’s Pizzeria around the corner from the Collingdale police station. Two others were busted at a SEPTA bus stop down the road. MORE

skeleton_running.gifTANGENTIALLY RELATED: A man who was discovered dead and on fire in a Philadelphia park yesterday was identified this morning by police. Marsizo Rivera, 32, of the city’s Fairhill section, had been set ablaze in Pennypack Park after being shot multiple times in the back. Firefighters found Rivera’s bullet-ridden body shortly before dawn on the 7700 block of Lexington Ave. An autopsy has ruled Rivera’s death a homicide. MORE

FRANKFORD RAPIST UPDATE: The man wanted for questioning regarding the sexual assaults of six women in Frankford surrendered to police yesterday, but authorities warned that the investigation is far from over. Dorrell Shaw, 26, [pictured, right] of the 5200 block of Marlowe Street, was in jail when the first attack happened, on June 11. He was out when the remaining five assaults occurred, after Aug. 12. It’s possible, police said, that Shaw — who is not charged with any of the assaults and whose criminal history does not include sex offenses — is not the assailant in any of the attacks. Another possibility is that the assaults were committed by more than one man. Police said Shaw, accompanied by an attorney, turned himself in shortly after noon but declined to answer questions from sex-crimes investigators.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *