45 REVOLUTIONS PER MINUTE: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist, Fillmore, Last Night
5 Things You Should Know About ‘The Hard Sell’
1. The rules are: two scratch DJs (Shadow and Cut Chemist), using eight turntables, playing nothing but 45s like they were musical instruments. Everything’s live, all the scratching and looping are done in real time. The only effects allowed is a single echo peddle and a guitar peddle for capturing the infinitely repeating loops.
2. You would not think that a sold out crowd could stand and watch two DJs for more than an hour without dancing, but you would be wrong. This is less a comment on the danceability of the grooves produced — for they were eminently groovy and booty-triggering — than a testament to just how hypnotic and mesmerizing it is to HEAR these two recombine the DNA of of semi-precious vinyl right before your very eyes. This is head music in the most literal sense. And all the choreography happens between your ears.
3. Turns out the the theme song from Gilligan’s Island goes with “Stairway To Heaven” like peanut butter and jelly.
4. Turns out Queen‘s “We Will Rock You” goes with Dick Dale‘s “Pipeline” like a kiss goes with a hug.
5. Turns out Humphrey Bogart goes GREAT with the Flamingos’ “I Only Have Eyes For You.” Even if Bogey — projected on the rear-screen — is the only one in the house allowed to smoke a cigarette.