1. Vampire Weekend have not let the hype get to them. Even after hoards of Internet accolades, including the incredibly rare handjob from Pitchfork, the band humbly took the stage, played their songs, smiled a lot, and called it a night before 10:30. Classy fellows, they are.
2. Vampire Weekend, despite their tender age, have already achieved live perfection — each song off of their debut record was recreated with note-for-note flawlessness. Standouts included the opener “Mansard Roof,” the crazy-danceable “A-Punk,” and the sing-a-long “One (Blake’s Got a New Face).”
3. Vampire Weekend’s drummer, Chris Tomson, is a Unitarian! You can imagine the smiles all around as he dished out a quick prayer-rap in honor of playing the First Uni, and then stuck around in the crowd post-show to be with his Unitarian brothers and sisters (or adoring fans).
4. Vampire Weekend are working on a new album! Already! According to frontman Ezra Koenig, it was the necessary step to take after finishing the first one. Seems reasonable. The one untitled track demoed by the band sounds just as good as the eleven tracks released last week.
5. Vampire Weekend dresses to impress. How can you not like the button-down-shirt-tucked-into-skinny jeans-with-boat-shoes stylee?
TEXT & PHOTO BY MICHAEL DONOVAN